We are growing and therefore looking for a Ruby Engineer with a passion for scalable software. You will work with your team on a scalable and advanced all-in-one reservation system for holiday parks that needs to handle high traffic at any time of the day. As a Ruby Engineer, the Ruby (on Rails) stack holds no secrets for you. You see it as a challenge to challenge familiar paradigms while understanding the impact of your choices. We give you the time to become an expert within Booking Experts and to learn all the ins and outs of our systems.
What will you be doing? 🤔
As a Ruby Engineer, you will work on scalable software solutions within our various products. This can include working on our all-in-one reservation system, the ParkCMS, and the App Store. You deliver quality and well-designed code that users and your colleagues can build upon. You are also involved in analyzing and solving complex problems throughout the stack. We also value your ability to test your skills to keep growing and learning.
You work in a small, independent team of about 3 people on a project. Together, you determine what to work on. This is done at a fast pace, but we never work in a rushed manner.
What will be your focus? 🧐
Working on scalable software solutions. Delivering quality, well-designed code that users and colleagues can build upon. Analyzing and solving complex problems throughout the stack. Challenging and testing your skills to grow and learn. Who are we looking for? 👀
You have knowledge of Ruby (on Rails). When you join us, your initial focus will be on getting acquainted with the company, systems, customers, and your new colleagues. This way, you will become an expert in a short period of time.
Ruby and Ruby on Rails hold no secrets for you. If necessary, you dive into the source code of Ruby on Rails and make a pull request on the open-source project. You can also independently perform major refactors. This is usually done in consultation with the team, but you will largely handle the work yourself.
When you take on a project, you understand the relationships with other ongoing projects. If feasible, you tackle them in combination. You are familiar with all parts of the system and can therefore advise other engineers on a solution direction. It is important to realize that there are multiple ways to solve a problem. Each solution has its pros and cons. You choose the solution that strikes the best balance between technical and human interests. You are able to identify these interests and make a good judgment.
In this role, you are an open person. Colleagues naturally approach you for advice on how a piece of code works. You are also capable of providing motivating and constructive feedback.
Your skills 🎓
- Minimum HBO (Higher Vocational Education) level of education.
- Experience with Ruby (on Rails) -> You are familiar with the programming language and can work with Ruby on Rails on a daily basis.
- Independence -> You can independently perform major refactors. Usually, you do this in collaboration with other colleagues, but the majority of the work is done individually.
Valued qualities 🛠️
A helicopter view. You understand the relationships between different projects. You recognize that there are multiple ways to solve a problem. You are open in your role, and colleagues naturally approach you for advice. You are capable of providing motivating and constructive feedback and engaging in constructive conversations.
Your department and the team 👊🏼
A department full of freedom, technical knowledge, vision, growth and peace, but with fun from time to time; that is our Product & Engineering department. Every day our team of experienced engineers works on a scalable and advanced booking platform for holiday parks. With us you will find specialisms such as backend, frontend, full stack and DevOps.
Why apply? 🙋🏼
Of course we offer you a good salary based on skills and experience even. But we also offer you excellent fringe benefits and sufficient holiday. We therefore find the balance between work and private life important.
At Booking Experts we strive for a healthy working environment. That is why you will find fruit at our office, we encourage you to take a daily walk, there are stand-sit desks and responsible lunch options. There is also always coffee, tea and soft drinks ready for you. In addition, we wholeheartedly encourage the initiative 'a smoke-free generation'. We therefore appreciate that our employees do not smoke during office hours.
We regularly do fun things, we have lunch together during the break and occasionally have a drink in town. Booking Experts also regularly organizes company outings and you can join the Friday afternoon drink!
What we offer you 💰
- Full-time employment of 40 hours per week with flexible hours.
- Employee benefit: 10% salary surcharge (capped at €500) that you can use to save, invest or do something else.
- 5 weeks holiday: Per year and of course the standard Dutch holidays.
- Annual salary increase: Our growth is a collective effort. That is why we increase all wages in the same proportion.
- Flexible working hours: Organize your working day yourself.
- Work wherever you want: from home, our beautiful office in Enschede or Amersfoort, a co-working space, from the train, you name it.
- MacBook & large screen: Of course we provide a good laptop and a large screen so that you can work effectively.
- Sit-stand desk: Everyone works from a sit-stand desk, both at home and in the office.
- Home workplace: We provide a well-equipped home workplace. You get a sit-stand desk, a good desk chair and a large screen for home.
- Free lunch: Every day you get a free lunch at the office and every Friday sandwiches from the Broodbode or Tango are delivered.
Secondary employment conditions:
- Company parties 🕺🏻
- Professional development budget 💰
- Flexible working hours 🕘
- Friday afternoon drink 🥂
- Work from home (hybrid) 🏡
Do you see yourself working here? Do not wait any longer and apply immediately!